Based in Atlanta and Los Angeles, Aubrey Banks aka The Fresh Prince, is a Lifestyle Engineer, Brand Architect, Style Composer, and the A&R of Musicheads.
- How did you get into the music industry?
Aubrey Banks: Honestly by accident, I was a celebrity stylist and was styling a lot of major musicians, then decided to venture into music production and it worked.
- So how long have you been in the music industry?
Aubrey Banks: I have been in the music industry for almost 16 years to date!
- Can you explain more about what you do with music production?
Aubrey Banks: I am not as musically inclined as most, So I decided to sign musically inclined people. I have signed artist, producers, writers, and D. J’s in the past.
- What is the Name of your company?
Aubrey Banks: Musicheads
- Where is your company based?
Aubrey Banks: I have offices in Atlanta, Los Angeles, and will be branching off in Canada early 2021
- Have you ever worked with any other companies in the music industry?
Aubrey Banks: I have worked with Interscope and Cash Money records as A&R and a couple boutique labels as Artist Development.
- How did you grow your company within the music industry?
Aubrey Banks: I just outworked everyone around me because I knew they were more talented as far as music goes so I needed to make my mark in other ways.
- What is your biggest accomplishment you feel you have had during your career in entertainment?
Aubrey Banks: My company at one point had 12 producers and writers signed to me during that period one of my producers where awarded a Grammy and another nominated so because they were signed to my company, I then became a Grammy award winner. Not being musically inclined that is my biggest accomplishment.
- What do you feel like your biggest failure is?
Aubrey Banks: I have worked with some really big artists before the world knew them. I just followed my gut feeling and signed them first.
- What has been the biggest struggle on your journey?
Aubrey Banks: In the music industry you are only as good as yesterday, so for me the biggest challenge is just making sure I stay relevant.
- If you could go back and change something what would it be?
Aubrey Banks: I created my own making the band type home. I purchased a huge home, let over 10 artists move in with me, built a studio and paid for everything myself so that these people could realize their dreams. If I could I would have taken the $500,000 I invested in that initiative and used it for my own brand.
- Why would you go back and change that, seem like it was successful?
Aubrey Banks: It was successful for the artists. I showed them a different side of life, a better side. It really changed their lives, however there was no real benefit for me.
- Is it hard to break into the Music Industry?
Aubrey Banks: I do not think so. I feel like if you understand politics, networking and selling yourself you can for sure get into the music industry.
- But you did not mention talent. You do not feel like you need talent?
Aubrey Banks: I think talent is teachable. You can teach someone how to sing or rap, but you can’t teach them star power. It’s certain things that is just in you.
- Have you ever taken someone with no talent and made them a star or successful?
Aubrey Banks: Yes, I have many times, and the first one was myself.
- What do you feel like your talent is?
Aubrey Banks: My brain. I am smart. Very smart and that is my skill.
- Any other areas of entertainment you would like to enter?
Aubrey Banks: Sure. I never say never. I do not like putting caps on my success, so I am open to whatever the universe has to offer.
- What are your goals for the upcoming year?
Aubrey Banks: Simply to be happy. I have already lived the life of 3 kings, anything at this point I consider a blessing and bonus.
- Any Advice you could give someone trying to break into the entertainment industry?
Aubrey Banks: Believe in yourself, listen more then you speak, and never take no for an answer. For every 1 that will say no there are 10 that will say yes. There is only one you and that is your power.
- How can people get in contact with you?
Aubrey Banks: My Instagram is @_chasingbanks. All my contact info is there.