STRONG A.R.M. is the name that describes the 6’2″, 200 plus pound Brooklyn native who is definitely taking on ALL HATERS! It’s a perfect description of his overall attitude. This is one artist that believes anything goes when it comes to his music. He did not choose to do hardcore hip hop, hardcore hip hop chose him! It allows him to say what the hell he wants. Bringing it straight to the front line so your attention is caught and kept. Don’t get STRONG A.R.M. wrong though, that is just one area of hip hop he is good at, he is versatile in all other areas as well. STRONG A.R.M. is coming straight out of Brownsville, Brooklyn NYC! He has been going at it for years now, and he is not about to let anyone from his past, present, or future get in his way. He is self-motivated, and determined to continue until he accomplishes his dream. He has spent his entire career learning the business and perfecting his skills as an artist, writer, and producer. In the immediate future STRONG A.R.M. intends to get into every existing piece to this hip hop puzzle. For right now though, he is ready to get his material out, and his face seen by the world. There is no doubt he is ready to be heard, and it is a fact YOU CAN’T GO WRONG WITH THE STRONG A.R.M.!
- Tell us something about how you got started making music?
Strong A.R.M: A: Once I heard Rappers Delight at a young age, it was a WRAP as far as my involvement with the Hip Hop culture. My mom bought me that record, so I guess I have her to thank!!!! Before Hip Hop, I felt like I had no kind of identity what so ever, and when it came to certain things, I would always get passed over. Once I started rapping though, people started to recognize me a little bit more, haters included!!!! LOL…. as time went on, Hip Hop gave me my walk, my talk, my style, and basically my whole self esteem came from being a part of the Hip Hop culture. When I was in a Hip Hop group I used to beatbox, and my name was THE HUMAN A.M.P. (All Around Music Percussionist) BOXX. When I left the group I was going through names and a friend of mine said that I should call myself Strong A.R.M. (A.R.M. = A REAL MC)!!!! And it stuck with me!!!!! Some of the other names that didn’t make the cut was D.A.T.A. and DJ Alejandro (LOL)
- Who were your first and strongest musical influences that you can remember?
Strong A.R.M: That’s easy!!!! RUN DMC, Whodini, and the Fatboys!!!!!
- If I was to turn on your media player right now, which artists/songs would I see on your recently played list?
Strong A.R.M: This may come as a surprise to you…. BUT I HAVE NOTHING BUT R&B IN MY PLAYLIST!!!!! I got Raheem Davaughn, Al B.Sure, Silk, Intro, Tyrese, Tevin Campbell, and much much more R&B on there!!!! And hardly any RAP and/or HIP HOP music at all.
- What do you feel are the key elements in your music that should resonate with listeners?
Strong A.R.M: Dope beats, and HOT rhymes!!!! It is just that simple!!!!!
- What do you think mainly separates you from the massive crowd of artists emerging right now on platforms all over the web?
Strong A.R.M: Personally…. I can’t answer that!!!!! I let the PEOPLE decide that for me. You know??
- Do you ever write a song with current trends or pure listener satisfaction in mind, or do you only compose what comes from within your natural emotions and mindset?
Strong A.R.M: I write my rhymes within my natural emotions!!!! If I did it the other way, I would be all over the place!!!!! LOL
- What is your process when writing, recording and producing your music? Do you collaborate with others or outsource any of these tasks?
Strong A.R.M: Some of the music is done by other producers but when I write, I get inspired by A LOT of HOT TRACKS!!!! Some are done by other artists, and some are not!!!!! The track is just banging.
- If someone has never heard your music, which keywords would you personally use to describe your overall sound and style?
Strong A.R.M: Strong, rough, and rugged!!!!
- What has been the most difficult thing you’ve had to endure in your career or life so far, and how did you overcome the event?
Strong A.R.M: Putting out music for the people to receive, and it does not happen the way you thought it would!!!! And until I WIN in this business of music, I will never get over it!!!!!
- What would you consider a successful, proud or significant point in your career so far?
Strong A.R.M: Well to me, LONGEVITY is the key!!!! Just to know I can still do what I LOVE means a whole bunch to me!!!!!
- Is there anything you would change one thing about how the music business works right now, or you completely happy with the current situation and digital platforms?
Strong A.R.M: Nowadays, it is a whole lot easier to get your music to the masses!!!! 20 years ago it was really hard to get your music heard. Then when somebody did hear, and liked what you did, it was a process finding you!!!!!
- How do you handle criticism and/or haters in general? Is it something you pay attention to, or simply ignore?
Strong A.R.M: 9 times out of 10…. I ignore it!!!! Because if I am being hated on, I must be doing something right for the other person or person(s) to feel that way!!!!!
- Which aspects of being an independent artist excites you most and which aspects discourages you most?
Strong A.R.M: As an independent artist, I would say it is more gratifying if your peers dig what you do because YOU, and your team (which more times than the other is a SMALL circle) wear A LOT of hats in this business of music!!!! And when you are with a major label, you don’t THINK you have to work as hard because you have “THE MACHINE” behind you!!!!!
- What is your relationship with visual media? Do you think videos are important for your music, and do have a video clip you would like to recommend that fans watch?
Strong A.R.M: Music videos are VERY important!!!! Especially with Youtube being the “JUGGERNAUT” it is today. That is where most people find out about NEW music from NEW and OLD artists alike!!!!!! SHAMELESS PLUG!!!! Check out Survival Crew Records on Youtube for the latest stuff from Strong A.R.M., and even some of my old joints from BACK IN THE DAYS!!!!! www.youtube.com/user/survivalcrewrecords
- In general, do you consider the Internet and all the social media platforms as fundamental in building a career in music today, and what is your personal relationship with the new technology at hand?
Strong A.R.M: YES!!!! The Internet is a GREAT tool as far as getting your music to the masses!!!!! Social media has taken over the world, and I just want myself and Survival Crew to be able to hold a little corner of it!!!!
- What’s your view on the role and function of music as political, cultural and/or social vehicles – and do you try and affront any of these themes in your work, or are you purely interested in music as an expression of artistry and entertainment?
Strong A.R.M: I would definitely say the last one. Music is my expression of artistry to my family, friends, and fans ALL AROUND THE WORLD!!!!
- Do you only create and work in a studio environment, or do you also find time to perform live? And which of these two do you ultimately prefer and why?
Strong A.R.M: I like them both EQUALLY because in the studio I get to create, and on stage I get to EXPRESS my creation to the masses!!!!
- Do you have a recent favorite track in your catalog that has a specific backstory and/or message and meaning very dear to you?
Strong A.R.M: YES….I would have to say “THAT’S GANGSTA” because not only does it tell the audience about my journey in this music, it also lets people know that anything they do well is GANGSTA!!!!
- Could you tell us something about your latest project?
Strong A.R.M: Survival Crew Records is re-issuing my album “STRONGULATION” on its 20th year anniversary in 2020 with some NEW tracks added, and also along with that, will be “STRONGULATION 2” (Da EDM Remixes)!!!! Hopefully, I will see you all very soon. Until then, check out my E.P. on these digital music platforms:
Check out my mixtape STRONGULATION (DA MIXTAPE) Volume 1 on Mixcloud!!!!
- What do you find most rewarding about what you do? And do you have a specific vision or goal that you would like to achieve in the near future?
Strong A.R.M: The most rewarding thing to me is that I am still able to CREATE music for the masses!!!! And in the near future I would like to produce my own groups, and help cultivate the NEW generation of RAP & HIP HOP artists!!!!
I want to THANK YOU for this interview, and for all my people out there struggling to make their next move, just remember to ALWAYS HOLD ON TO YOUR DREAMS!!!! AND NEVER GIVE UP!!!!! PEACE
SLOW DOWN STRONG (Original HIP HOP Mix) Clean – Lyric Video
SLOW DOWN STRONG (Austin Leeds EDM Mix) Clean – Music Video
THAT’S GANGSTA (EDM Mix) Radio Edit – Music Video
BET’CHA DIDN’T KNOW (EDM Mix) Clean – Music Video